Return to Sweet Necessi-Teas

Friday, November 05, 2010

Bavarian Tea Set

Last weekend I stopped by an estate sale in my neighborhood.  I mainly went out of curiosity.   The home has been bought and sold several times over the 19 years that we have lived down the street. I had never been inside this house, nor knew the most recent owners. I only knew that they were elderly.

As I walked from room to room, I began to feel a sense of regret that I had never taken the time to knock on the door and introduce myself.  I could see that the lady of the house must have been a very elegant woman. I think we would have had much in common. The kitchen and dining room were full of crystal, china, and fine linens. Fine antique furniture graced every room.   Her closets held evening gowns, shoes, beaded purses, and gloves.  The bookshelves were laden with classic literature, fashion magazines from distant eras, and cookbooks.  A bedroom had been converted into a sewing room which also held hat-making equipment.  And tea sets were in every room.

If I had the resources, I would have bought it all. However, I could not, so I chose a few of the most beautiful pieces.  My favorite--a handpainted Bavarian luncheon set for two:





  

1 comment:

Mszcookie said...

Beautiful! I will definitely be checking out more estate sales in my neighborhood. Maybe I will get lucky like you did! Thanks for sharing.