Return to Sweet Necessi-Teas

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hospitality


It's that time of year--school started yesterday. My baby is a senior in high school. She has a busy year ahead and I will be involved on many levels with her. I don't want to miss out on any opportunity to be a part of her life, to share the fun, to be there for the teachable moments.

This has been a year of introspection for me. It's been a year of looking at my priorities and what is really important. I have come to understand that relationships are more important than anything: my relationship to God, my family, and others.

Relationships take time and effort. They require a giving of self, of setting aside time to spend with someone--listening, talking, sharing, serving.

"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in it's various forms." 1 Peter 4: 9-10

What does hospitality look like? It can be as simple as inviting an elderly neighbor or a new friend into our home for a cup of tea and a freshly baked scone. Or, packing a thermos of hot water, a couple of tea mugs, a few cookies, and tea to a housebound friend or new mother. Or, inviting your Bible Study group to your home for a tea party. Or, letting your daughter invite her group of friends over for a new experience--a full afternoon tea that she has helped plan and prepare. A teachable moment...

No comments: